DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

We are due to flight on a long hall flight on the 1st June.

Hi, we are due to flight on a long hall flight on the 1st June. 8 weeks ago my brother slipped and broke his ankle which required 2 pins. His cast is due to come off on the 31st May and he has been injecting himself daily to reduce the risks of DVT. He attended an appointment yesterday with his GP and was told that the doctor who operated has written to her informing that it is he recomendation that my brother does not travel for 4 months. The GP felt this was very over the top. This has now left us in a situation where he is not able to get travel insurance. Can someone please advise me if there is anything that can be done to change this decision as the NHS guidelines clearly state that he should be able to travel 48 hours after the operation. He is taking his injections and has purchases good quality travel socks. Regards Ben
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf he is on blood thinning injections there is no reason to worry specifically about DVTParticularly as this is over 2 months after the operation.There is a miss communication going on here.First: The GP needs to talk to the surgeon and get a different recommendation.This would be the fastest way to straighten this out.At the same time:Second: Write the surgeon in writing immediately. State that your brother needs to travel and that it will cost him if he does not. State that you want the letter to go on his chart [actually your brother needs to write this]. State that other doctors have determined that travelling should be safe, given the precautions taken. Demand a re assessment of the situation, or a specific medical explanation as to why the can not go on a plane flight on june 1.It would be better if the GP simply called the surgeon.But getting the assessment changed is the only way he is going to get insurance.The reassessment can go straight to the insurance carrier as well. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it will be 6 weeks after the operation on the 31st (the day the cast is due to be removed)
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Same answer.I see no problems at all.6 weeks is the standard time to travel. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can be done if the surgeon still refuse to change his view. Is it possible to get a second opinion in such a short period of time.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I just enabled the rating scale.It is at the top of the answer page.Please do that.In fact, the GP can actually write his own appraisal, and send that directly to the carrier. This would also be possible. He can say that there is no difference in risk flying now or going later.As to expiditing another surgeon: GP would have to do that. No way you will get it fast enough otherwise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The carrier is happy with him flying, the problem is getting travel insurance as they will not insure if it is against medical recomendation
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I understand. That is what I meant. You have to get the recommendation either reversed, or you have to have the GP write a recommendation that it is OK. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/