Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I've just finished my hep c treatment last week but I've

I've just finished my hep c treatment last week but I've lost weight rapidly I've lost 5 pounds in under a week? Feeling sick all the time and having a hot face.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Hepatitis C treatment with pegylated Interferons is known to cause poor appetite and weight loss as side effects. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, headaches, muscle aches, dry mouth and ulcers in the mouth etc are all very common side effects.The recent weight loss you have had is due to the treatment you have had and since you have finished the treatment, the side effects will take about another 3 weeks to wear off completely.Meanwhile, on your return appointment, please make mention of these to your Gastroenterologist so that s/he may be able to reassure you better.Let me know if you have further questions.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks dr uzair. Just was worried about losing weight l was 11 stone 8 last week now I'm 11stone 2
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.We often see drastic changes in weight of patients undergoing interferon therapy.The weight loss should not be a constant feature. So, this does not raise any alarms.Loosing 5 pounds over a period of a week is concerning, I agree but not extra ordinary. A loss of 10 kgs or 2 stones over a period of a month will be a concern however.I would suggest that you be watchful of this and try to maintain a healthy diet. If the weight does not hold, then as I mentioned, talk to your doctor about this.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.