Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have diabetes and have never had a hypo except faint when

I have diabetes and have never had a hypo except for feeling faint when I immediately check can a doctor still stop me driving
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Yes, it is possible that the opinion of your doctor could affect your license. There are many aspects of diabetes that can affect driving, such as adversely affecting vision or nerve function that can impair the use of the legs while driving, and these may affect your license. So, if your doctor documents one of these other issues, that could stop you from driving. The risk for hypoglycemia is a separate issue in the consideration of licensure. There are two criteria relating to hypoglycemia that can affect licensure. The first would be if you have had one episode of disabling hypoglycemia in the previous 12 months. The second would be if your doctor judges that you are at high risk for developing disabling hypoglycemia. From the information that you have provided, it does not sound like the doctor would make such a judgment, but your doctor would have far more information regarding your diabetes, and if your doctor says that you are at high risk of developing disabling hypoglycemia, then that could stop you from driving. Within this context, the vast majority of people with diabetes are able to drive safely and continue to have a license. But if your doctor were to document any of the iddues that can affect driving, it could interfere with getting your license. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to ask more can you giwwhy he would consider me to be at high risk thank you
No, from the information that you have provided, I would not consider you at high risk of developing disabling hypoglycemia.