Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I started Taking Metformin in mid February, working up to a

I started Taking Metformin in mid February, working up to a dose of 500mg twice daily with food. About a month ago I suffered from boating and discomfort for around a week. It went away only to come back last Sunday. This week I've suffered from a constant feeling of fullness and bloating, especially up in the diaphragm area. This is accompanied sometimes by diarrhoea or loose bowl movements, some pain and discomfort in my stomach and a little wind. I thought it unlikely to be a side effect of Metformin because of the time that has elapsed since I started the medication. Although I've suffered from acid reflux and indigestion over the last year, this is an unusual feeling for me. Is it likely to be Metformin or some other underlying cause? I should also say that I feel extremely full even after a small meal. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.There are a few possibilities here:Could be a side effect of metformin, in which case I would recommend switching to a sustained release formulation of metformin such as glucophage SR starting at a low dose and then gradually building.It could be due to increased acidity in the stomach or gastritis. Gastritis can cause such symptoms as well. Gastritis can also be due to infection with a bacteria called as H. pylori which is tested by doing a simple test called as urea breath test which is what I would recommend doing. If tested positive this will require treatment with a combination of antibiotics for a period of seven days along with anti-acid medications like omeprazole.It could be that your stomach is "lazy", a condition called as gastroparesis, that is associated with diabetes.This is helped by taking a medication that helps increase the movement of the stomach like maxolon (metoclopramide) taken at a dose of 10 mg three times a day.This session is open for any further questions that you may have.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read about H Pylori. It's unlikely that my gp will sanction a test for this. My healthcare providers are very much overworked right now and it seems to be the case that there's a reluctance to offer testing without perseverance first. Is there an accurate test that I can purchase online? I don't have a great deal of money so if it's prohibitively expensive then I may have to sit tight just now. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
In the meantime I think that you can just try taking over the counter omeprazole 20 mg twice daily for a couple of weeks to see if that helps.There are two tests that you can inquire about from a lab and see if which one is cheaper:Urea breath testStool antigen test for H. pylori.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help.