DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have pain in one of my legs just under my bottom and then

Hi, I have pain in one of my legs just under my bottom and then down my leg. I sit for a bit and then I get up and walk the pain shots straight through me. It also feels like my leg is going to give out. Any ideas please..
Thanks Sarah
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is typical of sciatic pain, which can be a disc problem in the lower spine.You need to see either an othopedist or a physical medicine MD about this.The correct physical therapy is needed for it in most cases.If neglected, it can become a surgical problem later.You can use pain meds, ice, etc, but these do not correct the underlying problem. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I just keep taking tablets for the time being or will that do more harm than good ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
You need a doctor for pain and therapy, both.