DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My problem is complicated but I'll try to be brief. In the

My problem is complicated but I'll try to be brief. In the past 3 years I've had cancerous tumours removed from my colon and bladder where it connects with the vagina and the bladder (2 ops in six months). I now have a colostomy bag and am 100% incontinent so wear nappies all the time. The last MRI scan suggests the remaining pieces of tumour are dormant, but I'm absolutely plagued with urine infections and vaginitis. It seems that every time I stop taking antibiotics I go straight back to having a very debilitating infection and am almost climbing the walls with the discomfort until I can get a doctor to prescribe another packet of antibiotics. I saw the oncologist today who assured me that the cancer is dormant, thinking I would be delighted, and I burst into tears, telling her about the infection. She prescribed another packet of antibiotics and told me to go back for another check in 3 months. I wonder if you have any idea if there is a solution to these awful infections or is this the pattern of my life until it ends. I'm 76, by the way, and had womb cancer resulting in a hysterectomy 14 years ago.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HIokI can help you with this.have you had a cytoscopy?That's a scope into the bladder.Can you tell me your diet, meal to meal, typical day, in detail/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after both surgeries I had the cytoscopy to see if it was possible to repair the bladder but the urologist said that the cancer had destroyed the flesh to such an extent that he couldn't repair the resulting fissure and I would always be incontinent but I can cope with that OK as well as the colostomy.
For breakfast I have tea and toast with marmalade, lunch: potatoes and a small amount of green veg, plus grilled chicken or fish, a pear or banana at this time of year, melon and peach in summer. Supper is usually a cheese sandwich and a couple of biscuits with mineral water. Mineral water at lunch time too. When I have an infection I hardly eat anything, just sips of water all day. I have to be careful with veg and fruit because of the colostomy bag as I easily get diarrhoea.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to tell you that I'm an ex***** *****ving in Spain and have always found medical care very good in Catalonia, although I've met a brick wall regarding these infections.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
okFirstThe diet is pro inflammation.you need a nutrient dense , anti inflammatory dietThe diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like thisleafy greensgreen veggiesother veggieswhole fruit, beans and peasWhole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refinedSeeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.A little tofu or tempeh dailyA little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurtThe soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.probiotics are neededAnd vaginal probiotics; rephresh is a good product.no infection should be treated without a culture, to see what you are treating.of course, the diet should be cooked, particularly with the bag.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. I'll get some tofu but am very nervous of green vegetables and some fruit as I've had a lot of diarrhoea in the past, especially with peas, pulses and strawberries. I like nuts so I'll get some of them too, like walnuts, toasted almonds and hazelnuts. I seem to be ok with salad vegetables so perhaps I could try some lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and Spring onion.
The doctor didn't ask for a sample of urine but she could see from her computer that I've been plagued with infections and I guess she thought she'd just prescribe the same antibiotic as I've had before. She could see I was in a lot of discomfort.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
If you peel and cook the veggies is should not be a problemAs indicated as far as the peeling; common sense; squash for example.This is where all your antibacterial food is. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
hello3 days is my rule of thumb.you need an exam now.headache is concerning and can represent viral meningitis.This can in some cases be dangerous and needs monitoring.Go to urgent care or the ER.Unless your doctor can see you right now in the office. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/