Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had chest lnfection had 3 anti biotics after chest

I have had chest lnfection had 3 anti biotics after chest X-ray and sputum test was given septrin not coughing as much but still a cough with lite green spit feeling better in myself but only 2days left have to have another x Ray in a month will I go back to my doc to get him to check my chest after tablets finish please help fed up with myself thank u
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. There can be some lingering mild symptoms that can persist after the antibiotics have killed the germs, because it will take some time for the inflammation that occurs from the infection to resolve after the germs have been eradicated. One of the reasons that the follow-up chest x-ray is usually only done after a month is because the residual inflammation will cause changes in the x-ray that will only slowly resolve. If there are only mild symptoms of cough or chest congestion that persist, then it would be appropriate to wait and see if the remaining symptoms resolve without seeing your doctor again until scheduled for the x-ray. However, if the residual symptoms are more severe when the antibiotics are completed, or there are more severe symptoms or if there is any persisting fever, then that would be concerning that the germs have not yet been adequately eradicated and further antibiotics would be appropriate. So, in this situation, it would be better to see your doctor sooner for consideration of additional antibiotics. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u I will wait to see how l feel but if cough does not settle and spit stays I will go and see my doc thanks