Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have recently been having muscle twitches , muscle pains

Hi I have recently been having muscle twitches , muscle pains and tingling in my hands and feet.I had some blood tests which I had low vitamin d and was told to take over the counter vitamin d supplements.I was wondering if low vitamin d levels can cause muscle twitching and tingling as I'm worried it is something more serious like MS
Thanks jenny
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Yes low vitamin D is a common cause of muscle twitching. Vitamin D taken orally needs to be processed by your liver first and then kidneys to make the active form of vitamin D. Hence, OTC vitamin D alone may not be adequate if you have processing problem in the body. It is recommended that you are treated with higher dose of vitamin D 3 first --50000 IU weekly for 12 weeks for symptoms relief. MS is unlikely if symptoms are not worsening or any other absence of symptoms like incontinence or vision loss. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your will low vitamin d also cause tingling in hands and feet?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
that will. Also get checked for vitamin B12 deficiency as well. Best wishes