Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

My name is ***** ***** and i have returned to heathrow from

Hi my name is ***** ***** and i have returned to heathrow from joburg SA.at 7am.It is 7pm now and i have chest pains for approx 12 hours which are located on the right side of my chest about the size of a fist.I have been watching tv throughout the day and have notice some discomfort.I went to pack my bag to go back to work tommorrow and the pain is severe when i bend over and very painful when i move my arms/body.I am short of breath and have been for a few days due to a side affect to medication i have been prescribed to deal with altitude sickness.I am a smoker,6ft 3, 35yrs old and weight approx 18-19 stone
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 8 months ago.
Hello Mr Brown, I am sorry to hear about your health, is there a precise question that you want to ask?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should i seek medical help tonight or see what i am like in the morning.I have a six hour drive tommorrow for my work which at the moment would be extremly difficult.I also do very physical work.
Mr Brown, Since you have had a long haul flight, you smoke and your body mass index on the higher side - with the symptoms of chest pain (increased with moving) and shortness of breath. I highly suggest that you should seek medical help as soon as possible...Ideally you need and ECG (heart beat strip) and chest x-ray immediately and maybe some blood tests too, but medical help is must before you move on.
By any chance do you have: 1. Any swelling on either of your lower legs?2. Are you experiencing sweating, nausea?3. Can you tell me if the shortness of breath occurred suddenly and even so is there at rest?4. Are you having any racing of the heart beat (palpitations)?5. Also any fever or cough?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I found myself out of breath 2 days ago after i stopped taking prochlorperzine 5mg for my altitude sickness as they were not working on my dizzyness and were making me feel very bad.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It felt like the difficulty breathing was coming from my right side where the pain is coming from in the last 12hrs
Was it similar to this episode? Usually, altitude sickness and stopping prochlorperazine do not cause such symptoms. However, they may in rare circumstances. But since, its rare, and there are many other medical causes that require some urgent investigations and medical attention with the scenario you have mentioned, it is always better to be safe.
Would you like to know the other medical conditions I am mentioning?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
pls
Also the side effects to the prochlorperazine was shortness of breath.My legs wouldnt stop moving and extremly tired and cloudy mind.The did not cure my dizziness for what they precsribed so i was suffering from dizziness aswell.
In the current scenario: Chest pain, shortness of breath (that worsens with moving on the right side), smoking, high body mass index and importantly a long haul flight. Moreover, your symptoms not settling. Possible causes are: Pulmonary embolismPericarditisMyocardial ischemia (atypical angina)Lastly, could be altitudinal sickness (but rare) I don't mean to worry you, but I have to be honest and safe for you Mr Brown. That is why medical attention is necessary to rule out the more important potential causes of the symptoms that you are experiencing. I hope I have answered your question. Is there anything else that I may help with Mr Brown?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No thankyou very much doctor
Your most welcome Mr Brown. Please do not forget to rate me, as this will enable to help others as well. If there is anything else at a later stage please do not hesitate to contact me. Kindest regards
When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience: MBBS