Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I was wondering if you could help me. I've had a variety of

Customer Question

Hello! I was wondering if you could help me. I've had a variety of strange symptoms over a long time frame and have yet to be diagnosed with anything. It all started around this time of the year, in 2011. I kept getting dizzy and had a lot of headaches all the time (I was 22 at the time). At one point (often at night, when my body was resting) I'd get pain on the entire right side of my body. The pain came and went. Sometimes it would go for weeks before coming back. I went to doctors but they did not see anything abnormal. About a year later, I still had the same symptoms - headaches, one-sided body aches, light-headedness and also new ones, such as involuntary muscle twitches (all over the body), back aches, weird grinding noises in my neck, sounding like something was going up and down inside my upper neck. I went to a neurologist who did a CT and did not find anything. The same neurologist then gave me anti depressants, saying that they will prevent the headaches. He was right and (though probably addicted to anti depressants) I felt much better. I stopped taking them about 10 months later and was fine. Some symptoms came back, but more mildly. The body aches, sometimes my body would become really itchy for days despite moisturizing it all the time. But nothing too drastic or annoying that I could not live with it. Then, in December 2014, I moved countries (moved from Germany to the UK). And my symptoms did not only come back, but they multiplied: It started with headaches, body aches, face pain, neck pain, grinding noises in neck, dizziness, tummy aches (on the right side), muscle twitches. At one point, on my walk to work, my vision turned blurry. This happened a few times. Afterwards I suddenly had a lot of eye floaters that hadn't been there before. At first I went to the neurologist who did an MRI but did not find anything. Then to the opthamologist. He said my optical nerve was swollen, but since the MRI came out clear, he did not have any concerns. My symptoms got worse and my neck kept clicking, which I had never had before. I kept going back to my GP, who had by then decided that I was a crazy hypochondriac. At one point I got a rash on my tummy, which my GP decided was harmless. It went away after a month and a half or so. I then insisted on a blood test at my GP's and it came back normal, except that one of the liver enzymes was a bit high (ALANINE TRANSFERAS was at 52 instead 10 - 35). I asked the GP to check my liver with Ultra Sound. They said it looked perfectly fine. I was then tired and frustrated and stopped going to the GP. I stopped eating gluten and wore glasses instead of contacts think that the lightheadedness and headaches have decreased. However, the symptoms that are getting worse are joint pain and extreme cracking/clicking of joints. I cannot walk up and down stairs without my knees grinding and clicking. My neck gets stiff and cracks all day long, I have this spot on my chest right by my heart that hurts (it has been doing that for a year, the neurologist did x-rays and said it looked fine) on the front and on the back, until I stretch my back straight for minutes. It hurts more when I sleep/lie down. My bones/joints crack in places where I did not even know I had joints (like on top of my shoulders?!). It seems to gradually be getting worse. I did months of physiotherapy and it did not help. The tummy ache (dull, not always present, but often) on the right side of my tummy also becomes more prominent. I also have little skin bumps under the skin on my tummy. A couples of months ago I went back to the GP telling him the symptoms again. He said the skin bums were benign since they could be moved around a bit and the bones/joints would just crack because "that's my body". It's just odd that my body has never had any joint cracking before. Now every move I make cracks/clicks/grinds. I asked my GP for a transfer to a specialist and he said he didn't think it was necessary. Instead he told me to try taking Hyaluronan. I have done so and the symptoms are still getting worse. I am a bit helpless, as I do not know where to go/what to request/who to see. Of course I've googled and my symptoms look like Lyme disease, though I don't believe I've ever had a tick bite. It would be amazing if you could give me advice on who to seek help from and what you think I could be having. At this point, I would be relieved at any diagnosis, even if it's not a great one.
Many thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidit sounds like the antidepressants worked for you beforeare you having anxiety symptoms?some of your symptoms can be due to excessive anxiety or anxiety disorder or generalized anxiety disorder which can cause headaches, dizziness, lightheadedness, benign muscle fasciculation twitching, back aches, fatigue, poor sleep, upset stmocah chest pains, chest pressures, blurry visionmany anti-depressants such as sertraline, paroxetine, fluoxetine are used to treat excessive anxiety disorder
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
would you like to call me now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, it's a US phone number.. I don't have outside-EU calling, is there a European one as well? Do you think extreme bone/joint cracking can also come from anxiety?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
if you give me your uk number, I can call you.it can be 100% normal for joints to crack.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4915773558640, it's a German number but shouldn't make a difference I think?! Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
what is the country code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh wait, so is a call another 36 GBP?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or is it included in the first 36?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
a phone call is extra.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think then it's ok... if you think I should try anti-depressants, I will try that again.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
they worked for you before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will ask my GP for them. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcomeyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com