Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have been suffering from severe heartburn. I saw a GP

I have been suffering from severe heartburn. I saw a GP yesterday and was prescribed Omeprazole and paracetamol. However, even consuming liquid food is painful - how am I to avoid starvation?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

What dose of omeprazole are you on at the moment?

Is the upper part of the stomach below the ribs sore to touch or when you press it?

Do you have any other medical problems?

Are you on any other medications for anything?

Also mention your age and gender.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20mg per day. The upper part of my stomach is sore all the time - I don't have to press it. I am taking Atripla for HIV. i am a 49 year old man
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

I think that you should increase to 20 mg twice daily.

If that does not help then I would increase to 40 mg twice daily.

If two to four weeks of therapy with omeprazole is not helping then the next step is doing an endoscopy.

Also another thing that can help a lot is carafe (sucralfate) 1 gm three times a day and this will form a coating on the stomach which will help with your symptoms.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

I understand that you were not satisfied with my response but this session is open for any number of further questions until you are satisfied.

I would appreciate a positive rating if possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sucralfate is only available with a prescription. I cannot get an appointment with my NHS GP for at least a week - I ,not being a fat person, will have starved to death by then!
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear that.

Till that time you can try increasing the dose of omeprazole to 40 mg once daily or twice daily.

20 mg daily is a very low dose and it can be increased up to 80 mg everyday which is what I would recommend doing.