wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have a concern. Last September I notices a legion on my

Customer Question

I have a concern. Last September I notices a legion on my lip. I thought it a blood blister, took photos and left it and to be honest forgot about it. I was going to mention it to my dr. But next time I saw him it was about a suspected ulcer and as we were handed a sheet telling us 1 problem only I didn't ask. I have just really noticed it again and it looks a bit worse and I am now worried it's something more sinister. I have photos and would love some advice on urgency. Is there anywhere I can get help this evening using the photos as a first port of call?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Please upload your photos here.

Has it always been there since you first noticed it?

How has it changed? Larger, different color, etc?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response, please see my answers below.1) I think a synopsis from the photos is easier and I would rather have something I can add to my records
2) the change can be seen in the attachments. The photos with the brown fabric in the background (2 images) are September 2015 the others are May 2016 (yesterday).
3) I have just been out in meds for a suspected duodenal ulcer but only since March
Other med problems from youth:
Gilbert's syndrome
Right bundle branch block
Isolated microscopic heamoturia by thin basement membrane in kidney
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that additional information and pictures.

Unfortunately, the pictures are out of focus and do not allow any fine details to be seen.

That being said, a blood blister would have gone away by now.....

So. What to do?

I would make a point of mentioning it to your doctor so that she can take a good look at it in person. It would be useful to make an appointment to specifically have this lesion evaluated so you don't forget to talk about it again.

While sinister things, such as melanomas etc, do occur on the lip, this would be an usual location.

Here is an excellent article from a highly respected source that goes over the diagnosis of pigmented lesions in the mouth and lips. It is a bit technical.....

http://oralcancerfoundation.org/dental/pdf/dark_lesions.pdf

So. What is the take home message?

I bet you will be OK in the long run but do take the time to have your MD or DDS have a look at this in person.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS