Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had an issue where I feel like I keep needing to

Customer Question

Hi there. I have had an issue where I feel like I keep needing to clear my throat for months now. On top of that I've constantly had a blocked or runny nose. Recently (last 4 weeks) the runny nose / blocked nose has been constant. I tried some antihistamines to stop it which worked for a while and then stopped working and so went to a doctor and they gave me a sinus spray and an inhaler (to stop wheezing which had also occurred) these worked for A week. I then flew to the uk and since I've landed my nose hasn't stopped running and I seem to have a blocked nose for the last 7 days. I'm taking lots of vitamins but can't seem to stop the runny nose. I do have a dust allergy and the runny nose seems to be fine when I'm outdoors and not inside. It also seems worst (stuffed nose sore throat) when I wake up. Any ideas of what could be causing this constant cough / runny and blocked nose please?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be glad to assist you today.

All of these symptoms are typical for significant allergies. It is very common for allergies to cause inflammation in the nose, causing the blocked nose and runny nose. Drainage from the back of the nose can cause sore throat, cough, and a sensation of needing to clear the throat. It is also possible for allergies to directly cause inflammation of the airways of the lungs, which can cause wheezing and cough.

Even in someone with no history of allergies, allergies would be the most common cause of these symptoms, but since you have a known history of dust allergy, it is even more likely that your symptoms are due to allergies, although there may be more than solely a dust allergy.

It is worth noting that there are some non-allergic causes of inflammation in the nose, such as vasomotor rhinitis, but allergies would be more likely.

When oral antihistamines are not effective for control of allergies, the usual next step would be a steroid nasal spray, which is likely the sinus spray that you mention. If this was a steroid spray, then there are a couple of options. In someone with more severe symptoms, it would be reasonable to use a short course of oral steroids, such as prednisone. There are also a couple of other nasal sprays that can be used, such as Atrovent NS or NasalCrom.

In someone with stubborn allergies, it also would be appropriate to be seen by an Allergist for consideration of allergy desensitization shots.These shots, though, do not work quickly, so are only considered for long-term management, while the above interventions would be appropriate to get quicker control of the current symptoms.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.