Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My son has been sick a year.Has missed 65 days of school,s

Customer Question

My son has been sick for over a year.Has missed 65 days of school,his immune system seems to be very low.His white blood cell count is ok,he is 12
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

What illnesses has he had over the last year?

What evaluation has been done beyond the white blood count?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has had been diagnosed first with constipation !!! Put on movicol,but now that is not a problem .He has had several viruses and vomiting bugs .He will sleep all day,his appetite is very low and he has lost a lot of weight .But strangely enough he has grown slit in the last year .

Individuals with an immune deficiency will usually sustain both viral and bacterial infections. Frequent viral infections is usually not due to an immune deficiency. When there is a concern about immune deficiency and the white blood count is normal, the usual next step would be tests of immunoglobulin and complement levels, and it may need a consultation with an Immunologist

However, it is more common for someone to develop frequent viral infections because of systemic illnesses or various metabolic issues, including certain nutrient deficiencies. So, the usual evaluation for someone with frequent viral infections would be a general evaluation to look for evidence of systemic or metabolic conditions. Most children get physical examination on a regular basis, but it would be also appropriate to check a general chemistry profile, thyroid profile, and if these are normal, to consider checking levels of common nutrients that may be deficient, including iron and the B vitamins. A complete blood count would also would be included, but was likely done when the white count was found to be OK.

It also would be reasonable to assure that he is eating a healthy diet and to take a multivitamin, if not already being done.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, the question can be directed to me through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/