Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I believe my boyfriend has a bipolar disorder and is in a

I believe my boyfriend has a bipolar disorder and is in a state that doesn`t go to work, just stay in bed for few days feeling sorry for himself. He has two personalities, happy and horrible one. He doesn`t want any help and won`t go see anyone. How can I help him?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 10 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.
Indeed, this is a difficult situation where the person suffering from a condition does not want help.

However, this is also a symptom of depression. You might have already tried to convince him to see a psychiatrist for help and failed at it. So, the next step is to go talk to a psychiatrist on his behalf and see if an appointment can be made in absentia or if the psychiatrist can send a psychologist or a helper over to convince your boy friend to come and see them.

Another way is to ask your boy friend that you need to see a psychiatrist and that he should come along for support, the psychiatrist should however, be aware before hand who the real patient is.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Regards.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your reply, this is a tricky situation as he can get very angry and aggressive. But I will try to make an appointment with psychiatrist for myself first see what can be done. He has very stressful job, although he is the one who makes it stressful because he doesn`t believe anyone can be as good as him. He is very good at what he does! But when he is like this it is unbearable for me, blamed for everything, called names ect...
Pavla

Yes it is best if he agrees to see a psychiatrist.

Regards.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That`s the thing, he thinks nobody can help him. :-(

Try to spend time with him and try to convince him to go out socialize with friends. Regular exercise or yoga would help. Chamomile tea would have soothing effect at bed time.

Regards.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He hasn`t got a problem socialising, he is an alcoholic! He goes to pub by himself, and doesn`t have a hobby, just work. Thank You for your help.