Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I wondered if you could help me? I do try and undertake as

Customer Question

I wondered if you could help me?
I do try and undertake as much exercise as possible and I do a mixture of cardio and weights. Recently I have noticed a pain in my elbow area when doing such things as bench press. If I also press on the area/bone it does feel a little tender, the elbow join itself. I am stressing now that it may be bone cancer. Can you offer any advice?
I did go to my gp a few weeks ago and mentioned this but he said that if it was bone cancer the pain would be quite severe and equally worse at night waking me up. At the moment his advice was to see a shoulder / elbow expert which I have arranged an appointment on the 9th June. However I am stressing and worrying about bone cancer.
Darren
Darren
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Your GP is correct that it would be very unlikely that this is bone cancer. It is much more likely that this is a musculoskeletal inflammatory condition, which can be of the joint, itself, but also can frequently be due to a type of tendinitis affecting the muscles that insert along the elbow. It is very common for an inflammatory condition to be exacerbated with exertion, including bench pressing.

Until you can be seen by the specialist, it would be fine to use an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, along with local application of moist heat, or wrapping the elbow with an ACE bandage during exercise.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So even though it feels a bit tender when I press you don't think it's bone cancer?

No. It is very common for musculoskeletal inflammatory conditions to be tender., and far more common for elbow tenderness to be due to inflammation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Although it's been there for a few weeks it actually doesn't seem to be quite as bad as it was i.e. when bench pressing it is not hurting quite as much? If it was bone cancer the pain would be getting worse not better? I am just worried as we lost a friend to bone cancer a few months back and he started complaining of pain in his shoulder joint. It was affecting his golf. I have two young children and I just can't bare to think what would happen if it was bone cancer!

Yes, the pain from bone cancer typically is progressive.

I understand that you are worried, but the statistical likelihood that this is from bone cancer is exceedingly low.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, the question can be directed to me through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/