Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My GP Doctor told me I was given wrong blood by a doctor

My GP Doctor told me I was given wrong blood by a doctor when I went to get injections at their clinic. I suffered from chills, aches, nausea, chest pain, and abdominal pain. The injection I went to have was for Hepatitis B to prevent Hepatitis B
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is there a direct cause between incompatible blood and the symptom
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.

So you were given blood by a GP?

When was that?

What is your age and gender?

Sicne how long are you having these symptoms?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I was given blood by a doctor, not my GP. My GP said I was given wrong blood.This happened 4 years ago in 2012 and I had these symptoms a few weeks after the blood transfusion.I am 27 years old and male.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is there a direct cause between incompatible blood and the symptom?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your response.

So you still continue to have these symptoms?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have had these symptoms on and off for the last 4 years
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Do you think the blood was toxic?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.

Yes it is VERY much possible that the blood was not compatible and you could have developed antibiotics in your body that are causing your symptoms that are happening off and on.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
What do you mean my body made anti-biotics? I don't know what is anti-biotics apart from Painkillers
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.

Sorry typo, antibodies.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Do you think I can sue the doctor?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.

Well, yes you can sue the doctor but if he checked the blood properly, which is the routine, and even then you had a reaction, which is very common to occur, then you would most likely lose the case.

The reason is that even if the blood is matched one may still have a reaction to it because not everything is tested for.

Please rate me before we proceed.

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I did have a blood check up and then they give me this piece of paper that said I will experience side-effects for 3 months then it will go away but I've had the symptoms for nearly 4 years.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is there a direct cause between incompatible blood and the symptoms? What if it symptoms were life-threatening? I'm actually kind of lucky the symptoms weren't life threatening but that doesn't mean they should get away with it if they did commit negligence.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.

I understand.

You are most likely having transfusion induced serum sickness which can last for a long period of time.

I would have given you a short course of steroid like prednisolone for a week or two to see if that would help.

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
since I suffer from symptoms can I sue the doctor?Is transfusion induced serum sickness common in blood transfusions for Hepatitis B?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your response.

I apologize for my delayed response as I was busy here with my patients.

Well, although you can probably sue the doctor here but it is unlikely for you to gain anything out of it particularly if the correct procedures were followed i.e. he checked your blood group and the group on the bag and the blood was tested, which is the routine of every blood bank.

These reactions, like the one that you experienced, can happen in any person in whom the blood was transfused even if the blood was accurately matched.

Plus when you sign the consent form for a blood transfusion, it is written that you have been explained everything.

The bot***** *****ne is that even though you can proceed with the legal process but it is unlikely for you to be gaining anything out of it as far as I am concerned.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
What if the symptoms were life threatening?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
If a patient receives the wrong blood type this is usually considered to be negligent blood transfusion service practice, which can cause a serious or fatal reaction."That's what happened to me, and what I read online.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Was it a blood transfusion I had because they looked like injections to me with blood in it
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Did the vaccination cause these symptoms because my doctor did say it was "wrong blood". I read online "If a patient receives the wrong blood type this is usually considered to be negligent blood transfusion service practice, which can cause a serious or fatal reaction."It says "negligent blood TRANSFUSION service practice". I had an injection, Is my situation the same because it says TRANSFUSION and I had a vaccination.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.

"If a patient receives the wrong blood type this is usually considered to be negligent blood transfusion service practice, which can cause a serious or fatal reaction."

Are you sure you received the wrong blood type because I think that the blood type may have been right and you may have just had a reaction to the blood even though it was the right type, which is very much possible as well.

If you indeed received the WRONG blood type and you are sure about that then you have a strong case.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am south asian. And I had Hepatitis B vaccination. I think it was wrong blood type.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is my claim a personal injury claim or clinical negligence?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.

If you are certain it was a wrong type of blood infused then you certainly do have a claim for clinical negligence.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is wrong type of blood infused the same thing as wrong blood type?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
the vaccine had blood sample from incompatible donor?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Should I get tested for A.B.O incompatibility reaction? Do they do this in NHS? What should I get tested for?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can someone still have Hep B if traces of it no longer appear in their blood?