DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Really hope someone can help me here because my own GP is

Really hope someone can help me here because my own GP is proving useless.
For the past three years or so I have been having shooting, stabbing and electrical pains in my head, mainly at the back and top. It initially started on the left hand side but over the past year or so the left has quietened down a bit and the right started to flare up. I have been diagnosed by one neurologist as having high cervical radiculopathy, that was in September 2015 and then in January I seen another neurologist who diagnosed me with Cervicogenic Headaches. The second neuro referred me to a physio in February who was doing trigger point therapy and I believe he made the right side worse and basically from then I have been back and forward to my GP. I was prescribed Gabapentin having already tried tegretol and amitriptyline but the side effects of all 3 meds outweighed the benefits I was getting which was practically none in any case.
I found that the only medication that provided any relief was Nurofen Plus but as they contain Codeine I couldnt take them for any great length of time so my GP prescribed me Naproxen 500mg twice a day and this is where my most recent problems start. After taking the Naproxen for about a week I noticed a bit of reduction in the pain I was experiencing however they made me nauseous and dizzy, the sensation would be very brief, a split second and it would feel like I was falling or like someone had pushed me.
I went back to my GP and explained this to him and he told me to stop the Naproxen and instead take Ibuprofen 400mg three times a day. He also looked in my ears and said my left ear canal was a bit inflamed so he prescribed me Otomize to help with that. I took both for a few days but noticed the same dizzy/nauseous side effect as I was having with the Naproxen so another trip back to my doctors and I seen another GP who checked my ears and told me that my left ear canal and eardrum was now inflamed so she prescribed me Amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day which I will finish tomorrow, and also Sofradex ear drops. I used these once and noticed that I could hear a ringing in my ear, which seems to be coming from the right ear. Its not really noticeable if I'm busy at work or watching tv but when its quiet I can hear it more.
Over the past few days though, without taking any Ibuprofen I have noticed that the dizzy feeling has came back. It can happen when I am sitting watching tv and last night when I was lying in bed trying to fall asleep I had multiple dizzy spells, again feeling as though I was moving - almost like a sea sick feeling, and it would also sort of take my breath away for a second.
Could all this be a hangover from all the meds I have been taking recently, Naproxen, Ibuprofen, Amoxicillin, Otomize etc?? I do have health anxiety and I have been a bit stressed with work lately and I am going on a family holiday to Florida in 3 weeks which I am really anxious about in case I get worse while there.
I hope someone can advise me what to do in this situation. I dont know whether its best to ride it out and see if it passes or just go to A&E and explain whats going on because I have seen 3 or 4 different GPs in the past 5 months and none of what they have suggested seems to be working. I am now fearful that there is something more sinister going on and thats whats causing my headaches and dizziness!
Thanks in advance,
Gerard
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 12 months ago.

Cervical radiculopathy explains most of your symptoms and you need a lot more physical medicine than trigger point therapy.

You need a comprehensive program.

Side effects of medications should not persist more than a week after you stop them.

Dizziness can be an inner ear problem, and in this respect a consult with an ear nose and throat doctor would also be useful.

This might be set up at A&E if they find anything.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your reply to my question. Do you think I should go to A&E or just back to my GP again? Is it OK to fly with an inner ear problem, if thats what the issue is with the dizziness?

I think you should go to A&E and try to set up ENT follow up.

Flying will have unpredictable effects.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Can I ask what you mean by unpredictable? As in it could have no effect or it could have an effect? Could the ringing in the ear be caused by an inner ear problem too?

Yes

It can all be related to your cervical spine problem.

But ringing and dizziness can be inner ear.

It can get worse flying, or remain the same.

, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks very much for all your help. I know you advised to go to A&E but I will attend open surgery with my GP tomorrow morning and take it from there, ill go to A&E if GP still not helping.Thanks again.

Anytime

Any questions

Positive rating please: that is the only way we are paid, along with bonuses and premium services offers accepted.

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.