Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I underwent a procedure 6 months ago at 11 weeks after a

Hi I underwent a procedure 6 months ago at 11 weeks after a missed miscarriage it was my first pregnancy at 34 years old I had a tablet then vacuum aspiration procedure with no issues after it only heavy periods for the next few cycles which are 25 days long .I am now currently 12 weeks pregnant I don't have my gynae appoint until 16 weeks It is a new consultant as I have moved so they are not aware of the previous history as of yet and I am worried about whether or not my cervix may be weakened after the procedure as it was only 6 mths ago and with my appoint not until 16 weeks I am v afraid of something happening on the mean time any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

your question has been studied in large populations

here is one large study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3096409/

This study does not demonstrate that cervical dilation during D&C predisposes to cervical insufficiency or weakness in future pregnancies.

but you do have an increased risks for postpartum hemorrhage and bleeding after birth among patients with a history of dilation and curettage

but you don't have to worry about that now. that is something after pregnancy and delivery.

you can talk to your gyn doctor about this risk after delivery of bleeding.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was worried because of the manual dilation of my cervix is supposed to be more damaging than natural dilation but at 11 wks or so would the dilation have been much ? My only other previous gynae issue was I suffered from vaginismis a few years ago which seems to be ok now would that have had any effect on the dilation been tough to do as such
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

no, the manual dilation of your cervix from your prior vacuum aspiration procedure would not cause problems for your pregnancy now at 11 weeks or during your term

but can lead to more bleeding after your delivery.

your vaginism would not have made your dilation more difficult

you don't have to worry about your pregnancy

you can wait to see your gyn doctor at 16 weeks

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com