Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have sudden severe abdominal pain. I finished my period

I have sudden severe abdominal pain. I finished my period over a week ago (last Sunday) but have had spotting the last couple of days. Have taken painkillers and this has taken the edge off the pain. A recent scan (about a year ago) showed two or three fibroids.
Could this explain the sudden pain? Periods have also been heavier and much more painful over the last year.
I am not in the Pill. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you are having abdominal pain? where is it? upper abdomen? lower abdomen? left or right?

it sounds like you are thinking your uterus and fibrois are causing your pain

your fibroids could definitely cause heavier periods and more bleeding.

ovarian cysts can cause cramping pains on the left and right side of your lower abdomen and pelvic area.

NSAIDs like ibuprofen and naproxen sodium often help take the edge off of uterine cramps and fibroid and ovarian cyst pains.

have you been sexually active?

when was your last gyn exam? it might be a good idea to go back and see your GP doctor or gyn doctor for another check up and exam and pelvic ultrasound if you are having pains.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The pain is all over the lower abdomen and felt like the most severe period pain I ever had. I took some paracetamol and this did take the edge off. It was the suddenness and intensity of the pain that frightened me. It was like a cramping and burning pain that seemed to go right down to my feet. I am sexually active. Last smear test was around two to three months ago and all clear
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I see.

have you had problems with constipation or hard small stools? this often can cause severe diverticulosis pains which can be quite intense.

a ruptured ovarian cyst can be quite painful as well. ovarian cysts can be very common in women.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No although I have ulcerative colitis, which, at the moment is under control with immunosuppressants. I will request another internal ultrasound to look at fibroids. Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

yes, another internal ultrasound to look a the fibroids and the ovaries would be a good idea.

sometimes there can be some remaining pelvic fluid left after ovarian cyst rupture.

you might benefit from going on a birth control pill which can help regulate your hormones

thanks for the positive feedback

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com