Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had what I assume was Premature Ovarion Failure at 32 my

I had what I assume was Premature Ovarion Failure at 32 my periods just stopped they didn't become irregular or heavy just stopped, I did have an ovarian cyst prior to them stopping. I had severe menopausal symptoms and used HRT for say 2 years, I have osteopenia.
I am now 48 and I had 2 weeks of symptoms including sore breasts, 2 pound weight gain, constipation, mild bloating, mild fatigue, high sex drive, appetite change, I then had a natural period (which was light to medium) with cramps which lasted 7 days.
I am booked for an ultrasound, I did think my GP would have ordered blood tests, she did not seem overly concerned. My health is the best it has been in years with weight loss, healthy diet, exercise and stress reduction. I am 5ft 4 weigh 9st 8 have low BP, heart rate and cholesterol, I exercise regularly.
Should I be concerned? What has happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
May I add that in 16 years this is my second period the first one was about 8 years ago with similar symptoms all checks cam back normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't want the live call sorry
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

This can be hormonal.

The tests needed are

sex hormone panel

thyroid panel

adrenal panel.

If your doctor is not concerned, try an endocrinologist.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you for your reply, the doctor has order an ultrasound, will this be of any value? I am not sure why she didn't order any blood tests, it is so difficult to get to see a doctor, is this urgent. Why would my hormones decide to work now after all this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I not need a gynaecologist? I am confused
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I need to add further positive ANA detected 3 years ago
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

The system says that you have requested a new expert.

This is still most likely premature ovarian failure. It is possible to have another subsequent period when a woman has premature ovarian failure. It is not that anything has changed - it is just that the ovaries will sometimes function again sufficiently to cause a period and even rarely to result in pregnancy.

The ultrasound would not diagnose premature ovarian failure, but would be useful from the perspective of excluding other possible causes of bleeding.

A Gynaecologist can also be helpful in this evaluation if your GP is unable to reach a diagnosis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you for your reply, I suppose it is difficult for me to take in as I have went so long without a period, I have had a total of 16 years with loss of periods and subsequent menopause symptoms and complications. Is it possible that I will continue to have periods like I said earlier I am in the best possible health? I did think the change was related to my improvement in mental/physical health along with diet and exercise?

Even women with premature ovarian failure and subsequent, there is a point beyond which the woman will not have another period.

We frequently are unable to identify why a women has premature ovarian failure and also why subsequent periods occur.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.