DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My daughter is 29, she suffers from really dry flaky skin on

Customer Question

Hi, my daughter is 29, she suffers from really dry flaky skin on her hands, she has had many consultations with local GP's but nothing has worked, The condition seems to come and go and stress seems to be a factor.
Can you help ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what your question is.

First, her thyroid function needs to be checked.

New guidelines for this, if the TSH is over 2.5 this can be the problem [most doctors still think up to 4.5 is normal so you have to check the value].

Dishydrotic eczema affects the hands.

Find out if this is what it is, which requires moisturizers and steroid cream.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hiya, this is the daughter here (Karen)
I have been on a multitude of creams ad moisturisers and nothing has helped in the slightest. Would dishydrotic eczema respond to that sort of treatment?
Also I have an underactive thyroid (since birth )
But last time levels were normal? Not sure what level they were specifically. Do u think this could be a reason they keep breaking out?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

The eczema would also need steroid.

Hypothyroid can contribute to this.

Normal levels don't mean anything per se.

TSH should be around .8, but normal goes up to 4.5 so you have to look at the exact value.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks.I have given up with steroid creams - they don't seem to do anything to help my hands after long term use. I feel they have a habit of getting themselves better usually when I just leave them to it!
But usually it goes at this point, sadly it just keeps returning though.
The underactive thyroid is definitely an interesting concept. It's something I just started to look into last year for a multitude of reasons, and treatment for it doesn't seem as black and white as originally thought!
Should I get another test and find out where my TSH is sitting and compare it to the range you have provided?
I'm also quite interested in the alternative, non drug treatments that I've purchased for advice on?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

In treated patients, TSH should be between .8 and 1.

Above that is still relatively hypothyroid.