DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Madam, I really need help. I have recently just returned

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam,
I really need help. I have recently just returned from the USA(NY) back to the Uk. I have been diagnosed with a severe B.E.D . I was regularly seeing a Psychiatrist back in the states for this. The eating disorder has been ruining my life for so long and for the first time I excepted medication (Vyvanse), therapeutic help and felt like my life was getting back on track. I was so happy. However the UK regulations are very different! There is very little help and they only prescribe vyvanse for ADHD. My eating disorder is so terrible atm and I wondered if there were any way I could get a prescription from the US to restart the medication that gave me the support I desperate need.
Kind Regards,
Kate-Marie Tillson
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

No, there is no way to do this, unless you see a doctor in person in the US, and if the doctor decides the medication is indicated.

It does have an indication for BED in the US.

However, it is quite illegal to prescribe it without having a therapeutic relationship with, and without examining, the patient.

If you want a US prescription, you have to travel to the US.

You might have your previous doctor write the UK doctor you are seeing, going over the indications for this drug, and your medical history. In fact, why do you not have your records for your UK doc? If the doc could review those, it might help.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/