Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

Thanks help, is it possible to send an image, as it would

Hi, Thanks for your help, is it possible to send an image, as it would make it a lot easier to explain? These indents in my skin have appeared below my knee, on elbow area and my stomach. like the fat has been scooped a bit? I have been really thirsty. Drinking loads of water and it has help a bit in the sense that the indent is a bit less but not gone away. I went to A&E and they did a pin prick in my hand and it showed no diabetes or kidney issues and they sent me off, as the nurse said it's jus me but I never had this before when my husband saw the indents particularly on my elbows, he said he has never seen this on me and me neither. I went to GP today, and they are doing my thorough blood tests for underactive thyroid, also the check kidney and diabetes. I have put on weight recently and I was diagnosed with IBS chronic my calprotectin (faeces) is 279. I eat a sensible diet but weight is not moving down even with exercise, although I have not been exercising over the last 10 days but will start back next week. If I can send any image, you could see the indents, all I can say is that is looks like a gap going down in to that bit of skin! Any help much appreciated. Rachel
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

By all means. See if you can upload a picture.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay, thanks will try that now. Image of indents appeared on both arms by elbow area.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

I agree with the basic blood tests and thyroid check, particularly with the history of weight gain and difficulty getting weight off. Are you taking any medications for the IBS or other conditions?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
taking mebeverine 135mg and omeprazole x 2 per day at 20mg for acid refux. Nothing else.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I prev had an over active thyroid when I was in my 30s. But have been clear for 16 years now.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Neither of these medications causes much in the way of side effects, but one always has to consider this when an unusual symptom occurs. For example, prilosec can cause dryness of the mouth. If one had a mild allergy to it, one could also get what we call angioedema (fluid accumulating under the skin.) So if the timing is suspicious, you could stop taking it for a couple weeks to see if the dry mouth and skin dimpling improve. Other than that, dimpling of the skin is sometimes due to abnormal deposition of fat, creating the appearance of dimpling, or shifting of fat due to pressure on a given area, such as the elbows from resting them on a hard surface repeatedly. I would suggest you await the results of your blood tests as renal dysfunction, liver dysfunction, thyroid dysfunction can all affect our handling of fluids and fat. If these tests are all normal, this would be very reassuring, even in the absence of a definitive diagnosis regarding the dimpling of the skin.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks for your help and information.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best and that you get the proper care.

Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience: 20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine