Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Dear Doctor, please please help! I am literally at the end

Customer Question

Dear Doctor, please please help! I am literally at the end of my tether! This is long and complicated but please bear with me and ready my story in the hope that someone may have an answer. Last July 2015 I got rushed into hospital when my back 'went' it was suspect caused equina (totally spelt wrong) as my bladder lost control and I was retaining urine, after being scanned it turned out to be two herniated discs L4 and L5 I was transferred to another hospital my neurosurgeon gave me spinal steroid and facet joint injections under sedation which at first words then two weeks later all symptoms reoccurred. I had the same procedure again 6 weeks later.. In between all this I had a cyst on my overy which needing removing and had a laparoscopy and histoscopy and removal of the cyst. 2 weeks later after I'd seen my back surgeon I between the gynaecologist he agreed that surgery was the only option as had lost sensation in left foot leg and was in major pain so 2 weeks after laparoscopy I had a spinal fusion and discectomy (about a 7 hour op in total) 26th sept 2015. The surgery went well and I was in hospital recovering for a week. After getting home literally 5 days later I started with a high fever vomiting rigors etc and got rushed into hospital... They thought it was a kidney infection and treated me with IV antibiotics and got discharged few days later since the. I was admitted 6 times again over October and the last 6th November, each time I had same symptoms but they couldn't get to the bottom of what was causing the infection, obviously they had done bloods, MRI scans , Ct scans... All normal. I had a few weeks break infection free and got admitted again January this time privately, as realised my insurance covered this, same symptoms, still no outcome! Alongside all this I have also had two more lots of the spinal injections as my back is still bad although the surgeon pleased I got the feeling back in leg and foot it still was u bearable without taking very strong pain relief. I have since come off most of the medication they gave me but am still having to take oxynorm 10mls twice it sometimesm3 times day for the pain. April 26th the GP once again admitted me with high fever, rigors blood pressure was 190/120 pulse 130, she was really worried, I was in for a week under a very highly respected general pysician/cardiologist and had all tests again, the only thing came back abnormal was my vitamin d which was 8, I had IV antibiotics which they had to change because I became allergic to penicillin, and was discharged 5 days later still no wiser as to what is causing these infections/episodes. It the happened again 25th may and was again admitted once again blood pressure v high (I am on two blood pressure tablets) I asked this time if they could really seriously think about this being something about my back as this all started after the back surgery, (my area where my scar is is very tender and hot when this flares up if they press in its agony) and has not stopped since. I had researched that you can get infections that sometimes are very hard to detect after back surgery and sometimes require MRI with dye which they said they would do but didn't, just did normal MRI and said that if there was infection they would know about it from this scan.. I got discharged Saturday after just having oral antibiotics and they did find some ecoli growing from urine test so changed my anti biotic to trithromycin, my crp level were up but only 13. I went back yesterday as still spiking a temp of 38.6 and feeling dreadful and they did quick bloods that showed my level was a bit higher then when I got discharged but they changed my antibiotic to ciprofloxacin 500mg twice daily, I am still feeling rubbish but hoping these will start to make me feel better. They were arranging a bone scan for this week but my back/neurosurgeon phone tonight to cancel Saying that he had spoken to radiologist and this would not be helpful in detecting infection at the moment maybe in few months. I am so fed up with it all, I have 3 young children, twins 8 and a 3 year old, they have obviously been deeply effected seeing there mother go through all this, my husband has taken masses of time of work unpaid, I have had to give my job up only two afternoons a week at the school at dinner times but can't do this now. My 70 old mum is helping but it's too much for her and I can't take anymore!! Surly there must be something that is causing this, I have blood cultures and lots of other blood tests for different things . PLEASE HELP ME
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.

This is a very rough situation.

No, there is no way we can diagnose you, but I can comment on this.

I believe the bone scan should be done.

This can pick up infection that the MRI can miss.

I would not wait longer than 2 or 3 months to do it.

I would prefer this over an MRI with contrast at this point.

Other causes of fever can be an abdominal abscess: CT scan needed.

Or, endocarditis, an infection of the heart valve, echocardiogram needed.

It can also be a problem with temperature control, such as from a brain tumor, but this would generally give other symptoms.

I would sit down with your main doctor and go over these possibilities.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** an echo all normal if that is when they put the stickers on you? And had the ultrasound scan of hear but that was sometime ago??? Had brain scan all normal, have had full CT in April but do have tenderness in the lower right side of abdomen this time, so prob need another ultrasound. Can I ask you why they would wait for the bone scan? I was diagnosed 3 years ago with osteopina very mild, could this have anything to do with it?

No. An echo is an ultrasound of the heart.

I have no idea why they are waiting for the bone scan.

I don't see the need, unless they think the antibiotic course would cover up the infection. Ask them.

Osteopinea has nothing to do with this.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/