Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Some time ago I was sick after eating a product from Tesco.

Customer Question

Some time ago I was sick after eating a product from Tesco. I did not see a doctor at the time and was off work for two days. I have asked Tesco for compensation for two days' loss of earnings, but they are refusing because I have no medical evidence. I need a letter from a UK based GP to prove, or otherwise, that their product caused the issue.
The only food I ate in the evening in question was the Tesco product at about 6pm. At about midnight I started feeling queasy and feeling sick. Shortly thereafter, IK was sick and needed to stay in bed for the whole ay feeling lousy, sick and feverish. The next day I felt weak and stayed off work. It took a good week before I was eating properly again.
Was this food poisoning and what is the likelihood it was caused by the Tesco product - a ready meal?
I spoke to Tesco shorty after the incident who asked for the packaging for testing, which they appear not to have done.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer,

Did you have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal pain and cramps?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
nausea, feverishness and vomiting

Dear customer,

In that case it is possible that the symptoms that you have were due to food poisoning. And since this occurred after eating the Tesco product, it is likely that the product was the causative factor.

Take care.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you able to put this in writing from a UK based General Practice?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did you get the above note?

Dear customer,

For this you have to visit your local general practitioner. I can only answer your question online.

Take care.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi. I particularly asked for a letter from a UK based GP; so., I'm afraid you've not answered my question correctly. Could you open the question to other experts? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi. I particularly asked for a letter from a UK based GP; so., I'm afraid you've not answered my question correctly. Could you oper the question to other experts. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.

This question has remained unanswered by any UK based doctor, and it is likely because doctor will typically not be willing to provide a letter stating what you want to be said. No doctor can prove that this was food poisoning. The most that can be said is that food poisoning is a possibility, but that is not proof that it was food poisoning.

It is also very possible that the symptoms that you describe could be from a community acquired viral gastroenteritis. Viral gastroenteritis infections are very common, and everyone that gets a viral gastroenteritis must have had a meal the preceded the onset of symptom, but that is not proof that the meal was the cause of the viral infection, and it typically is not.

I realize that this is not the letter that you requested, but no UK doctor has responded and I thought that you should know that no doctor can provide a letter that proves that this was food poisoning. If Tesco is willing to accept a letter saying that it is possible that this could have been food poisoning, then you should rephrase your request.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for that. I realise that proof cannot be provided, hence my use of the term "or otherwise " in my question. Are you able to provide a letter saying that it could have been food poisoning?

No, although you can print off the information that I provided.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, anyway.