Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Up to last year in August I was on 40 mg atorvastatin, due

Customer Question

up to last year in August I was on 40 mg atorvastatin, due to my cholesterol which I was
told was on the borderline according to my GP. Having been admitted to hospital the
same month with a chestinfection the atorvastatin was increased to 80 mg. I was in
hospital again in November with a another chestinfection. Other then giving me antibiotics
it was established I am suffering from bronchiectasis and razylan 60 mg was added to
my medication. Test's are still going on for the bronchiectasis. But shortly taking razylan
I had so many side effects that I began to ache all over and my gait became very stooped.
I have to add that I have a problem with peripheral vascular desease and osteo athritis
plus osteo porosis. But for the two problems I mentioned last I have no medication
other than 200mg amitriptilyn at night. My GP refuses to see me before the 14th of
June and I wonder if there is any advice you can give me. I insisted to seeing my
GP about the statin and the razylan and a blood test was made last week and ringing
up today I was told, that the increased statin was not the reason why I ache all over
my body and my few muscles I had are beginning to causing my a problem.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

raloxifene is Razylan and is an anti-estrogen agent. it is used to prevent osteoporosis and to prevent breast cancer in women who have high breast cancer risk.

one of its side effects is hot flashes and bone pains all over your body.

you need bone density tests to see if you have osteoporosis or not.

if the razylan is causing too much side effects for you, you may have to stop taking it.

I bet it is the Razylan which is causing you to ache all over.

let me know if you have other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other than the razylan is 80mg statin not too much for my body? Osteoporosis has been diagnosed, with having my hips replaced when I was 47, resurfaced in 2004.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

talk to your doctor about stopping the razylan and see if the aches and pains get better.

I bet they will get better.

atorvastatin max dose is 80mg a day. I am not sure why they increased your dose.

was your cholesterol levels still high on 40mg a day?

you might need another fasting cholesterol and triglyceride levels checked to know for sure.