Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

A couple of months ago I started walking to improve my

A couple of months ago I started walking to improve my health. I weigh 18 stone and was very unfit. I have been using a walking app on my phone and every day I have been going walking. I started out doing 10 minutes a day and in 2 months I have recently got up to 90 minutes a day. Every day after walking my muscles ache and I get very stiff when I get out of a chair. But I have carried on daily walking. I recently ramped up my exercise a couple of weeks ago and I started to have a few dizzy spells. I took 2 days off walking and then within a few days got back up to what I was achieving. Then last weekend I increased again and did 4 days back to back, walking 2 hours each day. I felt ok at the time however for the last 4 days I have only been able to walk a few steps to get around the house and I am having the odd dizzy spell again. My legs feels like they are in shock. They ache all day and night, they keep waking me up in the night so I have not been sleeping well. They feel like lead and very weak. I keep trying to do some gentle walking but I find it so uncomfortable that I have to stop. The muscles I have developed feel very tight and uncomfortable. I just want to put my mind at rest that I will recover soon as I am a bridesmaid in a weeks time. I am now on my fourth day of pain and immobility. I really do feel like I've been over doing it for weeks now and I should have listened to my body and had rest days when I felt pain. I am not used to so much exercise. Do you have any advice that you can offer me?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am glad you have decided to get healthier and exercise

but with exercise you have to help your muscles function at a higher capacity

with this means you need to drink a lot more water and fluids.

also when you walk and exercise more, you can become low in your blood potassium and magnesium blood levels

your muscles use potassium and sodium to help your muscles contract and relax.

magnesium is also important to help your muscle relax

you should see your doctor and get blood tests to check if your blood potassium levels or magnesium levels are low

you might need to take supplements to get your levels back up

you may need to eat more foods rich in potassium and magnesium to get your levels up to help support your muscles.

orange juice, bananans, potatoes, fruits, vegetables are all good sources of potassium and magnesium

before and after walking long distances as well, you need to stretch and massage your muscles.

the stronger you get your muscles, the tighter they can become.

so it will be more and more important for you to stretch your muscles as you strengthen them to maintain flexibility and good range of motion.

you can ask your doctor to refer you to a physical therapy trainer or exercise specialist who can teach you some stretches for your legs and quadracepts, and hamstrings and calf muscles to help maintain flexibility.

after long walks as well, you can develop lactic acid in your muscles which can cause soreness. this is very common

stretching and massage of your leg muscles can help break up this lactic acid and get it out of the muscles. but it can be quite sore in your muscles when this happens.

I use a foam roller to roll out my leg muscles after very intense leg workouts. this may or may not be for you.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your advice. I am on my 4th day of pain and immobility. Am I doing the right thing by resting my legs now? How long will it take them to feel better? I want to feel better for my sisters wedding in a weeks time.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

yes, you should rest and stretch your legs.

drink more fluids and take in more potassium and magnesium in your diet.

yes, your legs will be better in a weeks time for the wedding.

try to massage your legs and stretch your legs to help the lactic acid come out of your legs.

the soreness will get better.

make sure you drink more fluids.

you can look on youtube to learn common leg and quadracept and ham string and calf muscle leg stretching exercises.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

you are welcome

do you see the ratings area where you can leave positive feedback?

it may be above or below the chat box.