Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

I am booked to fly to South Africa on 21 June yesterday I

I am booked to fly to South Africa on 21 June yesterday I went to see the Doctor about a pain in my ankle and was sent to the hospital where various tests showed that I had DVT in left leg from Mid Calf to end of common iliac vein.
How dangerous would it be for me to fly overnight and would the danger lessen if I flew business class being able to lay down in a bed. I am 77 yrs old
I have been put on Rivaroxaban one tablet twice daily for 28 days then one tablet per day
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

It is quite a good idea to fly business class. Being pressed into economy seats would be too dangerous for your leg despite the fact that you take Rivaroxaban.

Flying business class would bring along no special danger if you stretch down at night, drink amply and walk up and down now and then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday The Pratice nurse said that in no way must I fly. Was she being melodramatic as she went on to say that I would poissibily not walk off plane

The flight itself is no problem because you can be mobile enough flying business. My question is: What will you do in South Africa? Where will you stay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going on Holiday with my wife joining up with members of our family in J/burg to go on to Victoria Falls then four days later back to Cape Town and staying in his Holiday Home The long flight is London J/Burg 11 hours all internal flights are less than two hours

Ok, since you will be in big cities, you will have good hospitals in case you needed them. I would never let you fly economy, but business ins something else. I think the nurse was a little meoldramatic. Cabin pressure and flight high are no hazards for your condition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your assistance its been a great help
Good bye

You are very welcome! By the way: The IATA (International Air Transport Association) doesn't even name the DVT among the conditions you shouldn't fly with.

Have a beautiful holdiay and thank you for a positive rating form my help!

If you don't rate positively (5 stars would be nice!) I won't get any credit for my help. So please don't forget to click some stars for me. Thank you!