How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 55497
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

I had a very severe sciatica attack last December and could

Resolved Question:

I had a very severe sciatica attack last December and could hardly move for 24 hours. Eventually got pain killers from the doctor. The after affects left my left leg weak and numbness at the front just below the knee - a kind of pins and needles feeling. I have subsequently had an xray and MRI and am presently waiting for a Musculoskeletal Assessment, which could be another 6 weeks or so (it's already been about six weeks since I was informed of the assessment). I continue to have the numbness in the front of my leg and the muscles in thigh are not right (I can cycle without any problem but have stopped running as I thought I might aggrevate the problem). After all this time I am concerned the the problems in my leg might have become permanent; but I am also thinking whether I should consider going privately for an orthopedic appt. Please advise. I live in Peterborough. Many thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this question

Yes, you need to go private

You have evidence of nerve damage

and if it isn't fixed it can become permanent

you need this checked right away

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using

Dr. Phil, MD and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you