Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I hurt my small toe a week ago, my ankle and foot have been

Customer Question

i hurt my small toe a week ago, my ankle and foot have been swollen since, swelling recedes after resting, but after standing a few hours it's just as swollen.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Persistent swelling, bruising and tenderness in a toe after noticeable trauma indicates a fracture. The fracture can be a small one which is not displaced or a significantly displaced one causing an obvious deformity.

In your case, if there is a fracture, it seems to be of an un-displaced type. However, an x ray is mandatory in this situation. An x ray can be done in the ER and the doctor can examine the foot for further confirmation as well.

If there is a fracture, the fractured toe or bone needs to be immobilized. Rest, elevation and compression with icing will also help along with pain killers like NSAIDs.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health