Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have been having issues with twitching, tingling muscles

Customer Question

hi I have been having issues with twitching, tingling muscles and also pain in the muscles.My blood test showed low vitamin d and low vitamin b12.I now have to have a antibody blood test but im not sure why I have to have this test as it has been ordered on my notes but I cant see the GP for another 2 weeks.Thanks.Jenny
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

In the vast majority of cases the low levels of vitamin B12 is due to formation of an antibody that is called as antiparietal cell antibody or anti-intrinsic factor antibody.

High levels of antiparietal cell antibodies attack the parietal cells in the stomach which release intrinsic factor which is a factor that is necessary for absorption of vitamin B12.

The intrinsic factor antibody attacks the intrinsic factor which is essential for absorption of vitamin B12 from the intestine.

So any of these antibodies, when positive, will confirm the cause of low vitamin B12.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

I would appreciate it if you rate me as that is the only way I am paid here by the website.

Kindest regards