Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have recently had a blood test which is a yearly check up

Customer Question

I have recently had a blood test which is a yearly check up following treatment for breast cancer 2 years ago, which included mastectomy and removal of lymph glands, chemotherapy and radiotherapy. My blood tests have come back showing mild neutropenia. I wake most nights very hot several times in the night. What should I do?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you give the actual numbers for the white blood count and differential?

Have you taken your temperature when you feel hot?

How long have you had the hot sensations?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blood test results
HbA1c 29
Full blood count neutrophil count 1.52, lymphocyte count 0.93
GFR 61 ( I have IgA nephritis )
Serum uea level 7.9
Serum creature level 86

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
taken temperature - 36.5
Hot sensations at night for past month
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would prefer to talk via text as my son who is 8 is now up

Thank you for the additional information.

The mildly low neutrophil and lymphocyte counts are not at a level that creates a significant risk for infection. So, the evaluation for the hot sensation would be the same as if the neutrophil and lymphocyte counts were completely normal.

Since there is no fever when you feel hot and the symptoms have persisted for a month, it is appropriate to consider several different possible conditions to be causing the hot sensation. It is possible that it could be a low-level chronic infection. There are also certain hormonal and metabolic conditions that can cause the hot sensation, particularly menopause, thyroid disease or drops in blood sugar. It can be related to certain sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea. It can occur as a side effect to certain medicines.

There are also certain cancers that can cause these hot sensations. Certain treatments for cancer also can cause the hot sensation, and for someone with a history of breast cancer, we see this more often with these treatments rather than from the cancer, itself. However, it would be atypical for this to start 2 years later.

In someone that is having the nocturnal hot sensations as a sole symptom, the usual first step would be a general examination and screening blood work to look for evidence of any of the various causes noted above.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.