Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I need some advice regarding an all over itchy body rash.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Approximately 2 weeks ago I developed an itchy rash on my torso and limbs (photo attached). The rash comes and goes throughout the day, as does the severity of the itching, though it is particularly annoying at night and is keeping me awake. It is particularly visible when I come out of the shower, and cold water calms it down. I have been to my GP who thought I was having an allergic reaction to something and prescribed Fexofenadine and emolient cream. Neither of these have had any significant effect.Assuming it is an allergic reaction, the only thing I have done differently within the last 2 months or so is started using 'Bold 2-in-1' washing powder, which has quite a string fragrance. However, I threw this away over 1 week ago now and have re-washed ALL my clothing, towels and bed-sheets in a hypoallergenic liquid from Boots specifically designed for problem skin (eczema etc). I have even flushed the washing machine with white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda in an effort to remove any residue. If this theory is correct, it seems strange to me that I would have such a delayed reaction to the washing powder (almost 2 months) and also that the rash would not have improved when I removed the allergen over 1 week ago? How long would you expect it to take for such a rash to improve?In the last few weeks I have also started using a new sun lounger in the conservatory of my house, which is made of a material called Textilene (PVC coated polyester). However I have no known allergy to such materials and the rash is all over my body rather than localised to the parts that I sit on.I am now at my wits end and am wondering if you would agree with my GP or if perhaps this could be something else. She did mention Scabies, but I have no 'burrows' and no irritation or markings between my fingers, toes, armpits or groin area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
therefore the GP thought Scabies highly unlikely and that it was more indicative of an allergic reaction.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any further pictures?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but that is representative of my torso, arms and legs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Arm attached now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stomach
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

This is not descript.

NOt even a rash really.

More like an irritated area.

I would say this is contact irritation or allergy

A biopsy of an area would confirm.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are not telling me anything with that (belated) response. Can you refer the question to another specialist please, I am very unhappy with the service thus far.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, your pictures came in nighttime my time.

And they really don't reveal much at all

A couple spots of irritation, not even a rash.

Do you have better examples?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sent you 3 photos, all of which are very clear. As I have already said, this is what the rash / irritation / whatever it is looks like, all over my torso, arms and legs. I am not sure what else you can reasonably expect me to provide you with? I have already written you a very detailed question (see below). This should be very straightforward, but it seems to be beyond your experience - please refer it to another doctor immediately or I will make a formal complaint and demand a full refund.Approximately 2 weeks ago I developed an itchy rash on my torso and limbs (photo attached). The rash comes and goes throughout the day, as does the severity of the itching, though it is particularly annoying at night and is keeping me awake. It is particularly visible when I come out of the shower, and cold water calms it down. I have been to my GP who thought I was having an allergic reaction to something and prescribed Fexofenadine and emolient cream. Neither of these have had any significant effect.Assuming it is an allergic reaction, the only thing I have done differently within the last 2 months or so is started using 'Bold 2-in-1' washing powder, which has quite a string fragrance. However, I threw this away over 1 week ago now and have re-washed ALL my clothing, towels and bed-sheets in a hypoallergenic liquid from Boots specifically designed for problem skin (eczema etc). I have even flushed the washing machine with white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda in an effort to remove any residue. If this theory is correct, it seems strange to me that I would have such a delayed reaction to the washing powder (almost 2 months) and also that the rash would not have improved when I removed the allergen over 1 week ago? How long would you expect it to take for such a rash to improve?In the last few weeks I have also started using a new sun lounger in the conservatory of my house, which is made of a material called Textilene (PVC coated polyester). However I have no known allergy to such materials and the rash is all over my body rather than localised to the parts that I sit on.I am now at my wits end and am wondering if you would agree with my GP or if perhaps this could be something else. She did mention Scabies, but I have no 'burrows' and no irritation or markings between my fingers, toes, armpits or groin area.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am another expert here.

thanks for the photos.

we can't just assume this is an allergic reaction

itch skin rashes can be caused by many different causes.

rashes on your skin can be from internal inflammation in your body or even infection.

this doesn't look like scabies.

you need blood work to check for internal inflammation and autoimmune disorders as well.

do you have animals in your home? animals can bring in fleas into the home which can cause bites and rash

fexofenadine is Allegra, second generation allergy pill, I take this as well for seasonal allergies.

benadryl 25-50mg is a better all around allergy medication, but it can cause fatigue

but if the fexofenadine didn't work, most likely not due to allergic reaction.

have you checked your bed for bed bugs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr David,Thanks for the response. I've checked for bed bugs, we definitely don't have those. Similarly, no animals in the home. I share a bed with my girlfriend and she has none of the symptoms I do. I could request blood work, but what would they be looking for? What sort of thing could be causing this if it is not an allergy and not due to bites?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

thyroid disorders can cause this

any sort of internal body inflammation in your organs, autoimmune disease, viral infection, liver infection, hepatitis, can cause skin manifestation.

sometimes skin rashes can be manifestations of internal inflammation.

blood work to check your CBC, ANA, ESR, C reactive protein, platelet levels, liver panel, hepatitis panel, thyroid panel can check for internal inflammation which can manifest as a rash on your skin.

these need to be done.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One final thing please - the itchiness and the rash waxes and wanes. Recently, it has not been so bad. If it were caused by an allergen such as 2-in-1 washing powder, and I removed the washing powder and re-washed all clothing and bedding in a hypoallergenic liquid over 2 weeks ago, would you expect the rash to take such a long time to resolve?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

if your rash was due to contact allergy due to detergent in the soap you are using to wash your clothes, it should get better once you start to wear clothing that was not washed in this detergent.

2 weeks is a long time

contact dermatitis allergy rash should not last 2 weeks after you have removed contact with the detergent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the detergent not have caused allergic dermatitis rather than contact dermatitis though?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

it could have

but it would still not last 2 weeks later

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician