Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Weird head sensations lately. Brief, sharp outbursts of pain

Customer Question

Weird head sensations lately.
Brief, sharp outbursts of pain in the scalp and back of the scale; intermittent pressure sensations and pain on the sides of the head (mainly the sides of the temples); pressure on top of the head (like a weight on it). Burning sensations across the scalp and forehead, like a string of firecrackers, and the same come-and-go pain extending down to curve above and around the top corner of each eye and sometimes into the cheeks. There is slight throat-based nausea associated with the pain. Paracetemol has an impact (just one tablet really takes the edge off the symptoms) and it is also alleviated by an increase in temperature (such as blasting the car heating).
I've had two doctors run neurological tests on me and an optician who specifically checked for a tumour or swelling; all tests came back clear, they say there's no reason to think my brain is anything other than normal. But, I do have a hole leading down to the root in one of my teeth. I've not been taking antibiotics consistently recently either, having only partially-completed the final two days of a seven-day course. Can a variety of neuralgias due to this (or bacteria taking advantage of it) be the cause?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this question

Did you ever have a rash in this area? Even a mild one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other than a slight rash on the top front right side of the head, just around from the eye, that's been there since long before this, no. No rashes.

This could be shingles. Which is caused by a virus

that is very possible

you can get pain a long time after shingles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no rash. There's no general unwell feeling and the pain isn't constant, so I doubt it's shingles. Could it be bacteria affecting the nerves of the head via my dental hole?

Yes, it absolutely could

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything more serious it might be? (Considering doctors and an optician ran tests and seem satisfied there's no sign of a tumour or anything like that)

no I don't think so.

maybe I missed it but did you have an MRI

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't have an MRI. The doctor who did the tests (of reflexes, balance, pupil dilation, etc.) said there was no indication that anything was wrong. An optician ran some tests too, and looked behind the eyes, and came to the same conclusion, as did a doctor who did basic tests at A&E. But no MRI.

I'm sure you are fine then

100% sure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you :) Is it common for bacteria to get in via tooth roots and affect nerves in such a way?

yes, it is as a matter of fact