Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My 14 year old son has been complaining about pains in s

My 14 year old son has been complaining about pains in his chest and feels in pain when he's moving about, he has had it for the last couple of days and mentioned it first after football training yesterday and following a busy sports event at school on Thursday.
He would like to check with a doctor as he's become very worried that there is something more serious wrong than the muscle strain that I (his Mum) thinks it probably is . Are you able to help us make sure we have the right diagnosis for him . We will go to our GP tomorrow but he would like reassurance that we don't need to panic and go to an A&E tonight . He is calm and had eaten and watched football and is just quite anxious about the pain .
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

The only thing that is the most concerning in this scenario is a cardiac event which at his age is extremely unlikely. If this were a cardiac event or something serious, that is a cardiopulmonary pathology, he would have had shortness of breath, bluish discoloration of skin, cold sweats, confusion, excruciating chest pain sharp and dull going to the back, left arm or the jaw, there would have been blackouts or fainting, he would be very anxious as opposed to being calm and he would have had a prior history of having such symptoms as well.

This is most likely a muscle strain, these are very painful as well, as the chest is a dynamic area and has to move all the time with breaths.

His symptoms do not warrant an ER visit however, since I have not physically examined him, if you seek peace of mind an ER visit can be made nonetheless.

To ease his symptoms, an OTC pain killer and a massage with an NSAID liquigel on the affected area with bed rest should be beneficial.

However, if you see that his anxiety is worsening or his symptoms are aggravating then take him to the ER to be on the safe side.

Let me know if you have any other queries related to this.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Regards.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I suggest he go to A&E.

WE can not examine him.

He trains in football.

This might be a rib fracture for example.

Pericarditis is possible.

A partially collapsed lung.

Or muscle pain.

Since there is this much concern, and these possibilities, and exam now is better.

By the way, pain in the chest can be from acid reflux, and NSAIDs can make this worse.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor.

Please click a positive on this post.