Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Have a recurrence of UTI. Had same 6 months last year,had

Hi have a recurrence of UTI. Had same for approx 6 months last year,had lots of antibiotics, and a was on a maintence anti biotic for three months after.
What causes these infections? Is there an alternative solution or are antibiotics the only solution.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

UTIs are caused by germs that travel up the urethra into the bladder. The germs that cause the vast majority of UTIs arise from the colon and colonize the skin of the external genitalia and then are able to travel into the bladder.

Antibiotic prophylaxis is one of the commonly used interventions to prevent recurrent infections. There are several other interventions that can be considered to try to prevent recurrent UTIs. In post-menopausal women, there is evidence that using vaginal estrogens can reduce the frequency of infections, but the decision to use estrogens should consider many other factors. It also may help to use oral probiotics to alter the good germs in the colon to try to inhibit the growth of more virulent germs in the colon. Another option would be to use a supplement, D-mannose, that may help to prevent UTIs. It is also reasonable to be drinking large amounts of fluids to be continuously flushing the urinary system. There also is some evidence that using cranberry juice as a significant component of that fluid intake may help prevent infections.

No intervention will work for every woman, so trying multiple interventions may be necessary, and most of these interventions can be used together.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi I am passing blood in urine, is this normal. This is day 4 of infection.

We would not label anything associated with a UTI as normal, however, it certainly is common for a UTI to cause bleeding. By day 4, we usually are seeing significant improvement in symptoms. If the other symptoms of infection are improving, but there still is some blood in the urine, that is less concerning and you should complete the antibiotic course. But if the other symptoms of infection are not improving plus there is some blood in the urine, there should be consideration of whether a different antibiotic should be used, and you should contact your doctor.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you getting worse. Will contact my GP.

You are very welcome. That is the best step.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.