Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What does "EDTA to immunophenotyping ? lymphocytosis" mean.

what does "EDTA to immunophenotyping ? lymphocytosis" mean. I am currently in remission from High Grade B-Cell NHL (2008) AND Angioimmunoblastic High Grade T-Cell NHL (2013) mean please ?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you give the context in which this was written?

Was this a order for the lab?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this data entered on blood request form by my haematology consultant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you receive my earlier response?

Thank you for the clarification. That is what I suspected, but wanted to be certain.

The primary test here is the immunophenotyping, which is an analysis of the phenotype of immune cells, and particularly lymphocytes. The term, phenotype, is a genetics term that refers to the characteristics that are the expression of the underlying genetics. When we are able to analyze the underlying genes, we will refer to genotype, but when we refer to characteristics of the cell or organism that can be seen or measured, we will refer to phenotype. In the case of the white blood cells, it is looking at the proteins on the surface of the white blood cells to be able to identify the various types of the cells that are present, such as B-lymphocytes, T-lymphocytes, etc.

EDTA stands for ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid, which is a chelating agent. We can use this as a medicine when we want to chelate within the human body, however, in everyday use, it is use in certain blood tubes to prevent blood from clotting. In the context of an order, the doctor is saying to send the EDTA tube for the immunophenotyping.

The ? lymphocytosis is saying that there is concern that there is an increase in lymphocytes, and in this context in particular types of lymphocytes. This is explaining the reason for the test.

So, this is a test to look for evidence of an increase in any of the different types of lymphocytes, which is done to assess for evidence of recurrence vs continued remission.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.