Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

My son aged mid-40's has just had a seizure whilst on a

Customer Question

My son aged mid-40's has just had a seizure whilst on a cruise. He has had various tests done by the Ships Doctor, and he was sent to have an MRI scan at one of the ports of call which showed nothing abnormal. Apparently, unusually for him he had allowed himself to become dehydrated, at the time of the seizure, and was also in a crowded area of the ship in an area that contained a perfumery, also he was unable to get away from this area for some time, so I suspect he panicked. He did manage to get out eventually and stood on the deck in the open air - turned to his wife to say he felt dreadful, felt his eyes going and the next thing he was aware of was that he was in the surgery linked up to various drips, and ECG etc. etc. He has been advised to see a neurologist on his return from his trip and I have been told by a few friends that when this sort of thing happens he will lose his driving licence for about a year.
He did have a couple of similar incidents, only on a much minor scale when he was around 17/18 and both times it happened in a crowded shopping mall in Malaysia fairly close to the perfumery department.
Is he likely to have more of these seizures (in your view), or if he is aware of the triggers, will he be OK. Will he have to have medication at any time. Thank you for any advice you may be able to give me. I have spoken to him briefly and he is now terrified that it will happen again.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

any other medical issues?