DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Thank you the following queries about scabies. Last November

Hello -
Thank you for answering the following queries about scabies.
Last November my partner, (male, age 66) was diagnosed as having scabies by a dermatologist. We reckon he picked this up on holiday in Portugal a couple of weeks earlier. Since then he has undergone treatment three times and it has still returned for a fourth time. His treatment was 6 x Ivermectin tablets (repeated after 14 days), Permethrin cream all over (re-applied 10 days later), cortisone cream to aid healing and skin moisturisers.
Throughout this time, although we don't live together, we sleep together every weekend and (when we presumed he was 'clear') have an active sex life. On no occasion have I ever shown any symptoms myself (female, age 65) although my GP prescribed Spregal spray which I have applied simultaneously to my partner's treatments.
However, I'm becoming increasingly worried about (a) why his treatment seems continuously to fail; (b) why I have never contracted it and (c) that some people - by that, meaning possibly me, might be 'carriers' whilst being asymptomatic are in fact re-infecting him - is this true?
I would appreciate your comments and advice on this problem. Thank you.
Lesley
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

He would have to be re exposed all the time.

I am questioning if this is scabies.

There is no such thing as a carrier.

I think there is a misdiagnosis.

The lesion should be send to the lab, or the doctor needs to clearly identify the mite with magnification.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your answer. My partner visited his dermatologist again today. Following a thorough full body examination with a magnifying glass, the view now is (as you suggested) he does not have scabies or more accurately, he no longer has it. Apparently the numerous lesions now only on his legs (whereas it was all over him before) do not follow the burrowing pattern of scabies and deep, crater-like scabs. It would appear he is suffering from 'psychological' post-scabies scratching. In other words, after the bouts of constant itching over several months any slight itch on the resulting dry skin on his legs results in him scratching, particularly during sleep. Some of which have become infected and he's being treated for this. He was told that this sometimes occurs in patients who've suffered from long duration infestations. Perhaps you've also encountered this. For the moment I have no further questions. Thank you.
Lesley
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

HI

You never gave a positive rating on my answer.

We are only paid per rating and I was not paid by just answer for my time previously./

Please do that now.