Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had a mastectomy and removal of lymph glands from under my

I had a mastectomy and removal of lymph glands from under my arm 9 years ago. After surgery I had burning pain in my upper arm for months, and this was alleviated by some massage and applying ice cubes. I also excercised the arm regularly which helped the fluid to drain away. Recently I have had discomfort under and to the side of the affected breast, which incidentally I had a reconstruction done some years ago with no problems, but each day now the soreness/ pain gets worse. I now cannot bear to wear a bra because of the pressure. Do I need to excercise the arm again or is there something else I can do please? I have a massage cushion and wonder whether that would help? There is slight swelling where the soreness is. Your help would be appreciated, thank you.
Mary
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you need to see your GP doctor and get an ultrasound of your arm pit

you could have return of your seroma or fluid collection in your arm pit

you could have lymphedema in your arm as well which would need massage therapy, compression stocking, elevation of your arm to help decrease fluid build up in the arm.

some of your pain could be from neuropathy from nerve damage from prior surgery in the breast and arm pit.

sometimes nerve pain medications like neurotin (gabapentin) or lyrica (pregabalin) can help decrease nerve related pain in prior surgery areas.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com