Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I am pregnant and a bit worried about my hcg beta levels.

Hi. I am pregnant and a bit worried about my hcg beta levels. The date of my LMP was 16 May and i had a positive peak on my ovulation predictor kit on 28 May so presume i ovulated on 29 May. I had hcg taken 15dpo and it was 621.7 and 17dpo and 1284. I see from my lab results that this would make me 5 weeks pregnant not 4, but i know that is not possible, i tested everyday as i have been ttc and got my first positive 9dpo. Could this indicate twins or something else and should i have an early scan? thanks
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Ideally hCG levels should not be used to date a pregnancy, since these numbers can vary so widely.

It is not necessarily the level that matters, but rather the change in the level.
Since your levels have almost double in 48 hours suggest normal pregnancy.

But yes possibility of twins can't be ruled out.Still a ultrasound at 6 weeks may be more useful in detecting fetal heart sound.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. should i be concerned about the hcg levels being high and book an early pregnancy scan for 6 weeks?

I think a 6 weeks scan is the earliest that can give some useful information.

Before that not much significant information can be derived.A fetal heart beat can only confirm viability and you should wait till 6 weeks for first ante natal ultrasound.

Still i do think you should not give much significance to the numbers and avoid anxiety.