Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I suffer from schizophrenia am taking aripriprazole 5mg

Customer Question

Hi I suffer from schizophrenia am taking aripriprazole 5mg daily. I started a very low Calorie diet but on 5 Th day had shakiness and fever so switched to the plan where one meal was allowed with 3 of packaged foods. I still feel very tired and sometimes dizzy is this sort of diet suitable for me considering my health condition? Is going into ketosis safe?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

A ketogenic diet is not at all a safe thing to do. Especially with your current health condition.

The shakiness and the dizziness is due to low sugar levels due to the low carb intake. I would suggest that you gradually shift back to your original carb levels over a period of 3 to 4 days. Drink a lot of water and use oral hydration solutions to keep yourself hydrated and your electrolytes in balance. If your symptoms worsen, you should go to the Urgent Care or the ER for an electrolyte panel and blood sugar level check.

Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Regards.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok many thanks for this answer
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

My pleasure, please take care of yourself.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What sort of diet is suitable to lose weight?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My medication causes weight gain, so what health tips can make me become a healthy weight?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

There is no best diet to loose weight. Every diet which causes weight loss is actually not a balanced diet and is putting the body through a challenge which is causing stress and in turn weight loss. The best way to loose weight is to have a balanced diet and start a work out routine. The balanced diet will discourage weight gain and keep the weight balanced while the work out routine will cause the weight loss, by getting rid of the fat and conserving protein, this is called healthy weight loss.

In a weight loss routine, aerobic exercises or cardio routine is most suitable with a protein diet and little carbs with little to no fat.

For example, along with a cardio routine, one can take 250 gms of chicken or meat every 4 hours and fill the interim with half an apple for example to avoid hunger pangs. Due to the frequent meals, the body is tricked in to believing that there is no stress and in turn the body does not store any nutrients as fat and this maintains a steady weight.

On the other hand, if you do not take regular meals or starve the body, anything you eat, even small quantities of food are saved and stored as fat for periods of starvation since, the stress response of the body is triggered.

I would suggest that you see a Nutritionist for a healthy diet plan and a personal trainer to schedule a work out routine best suited to your body habitus and physique.

Let me know if you have other related queries.

Regards.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you will that make blood sugar levels balanced too?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also I suffer anxiety as a side effect of meds what advice can you give me so I can overcome it?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Yes, that is correct, essential carbs will be included in the diet so blood sugars will remain balanced and in check.

Chamomile tea - 3 cups per day, exercise, Omega 3 fatty acids, reading and watching and paying attention to your hobbies and keeping yourself busy in a healthy life style will relieve the stress.

Regards.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you for that
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
People who have schizophrenia what is the chances of their children getting it?