Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I've developed these bumps in my tongue, I think they're

I've developed these white bumps in my tongue, I think they're enlarged taste buds. They're really painful and they started well over a week ago, keep multiplying and changing which ones are affected. What is it and why is this happening?!
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, can you load up a foto?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep

Thanlk you. This looks like a viral (herpes) infection which leads to painful blisters. There is no medication to influence the condition, but it will heal by itself after wbout two weeks. Drink plenty of fluids. You may want to try painkillers like Numb deep throat spray until it's better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really? I thought that herpes would be flat and blister like.. These definitely aren't blisters. I've had them many times before but this is the longest yet.

I understand your point, most herpes infections make little ulcers. I have no other explanation. I will opt out to see if a colleague has any better idea. All the best!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just added another picture in case it helps!
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for contacting Justanswer.

This is likely to be due to inflammation of the taste buds. The exact cause for this is not know for certain, however this could be due to allergy, or trauma, or due to nutritional deficiency.

http://www.healthyhowto.org/tongue/taste-buds/swollen-taste-buds-causes-pictures-home-remedies-to-get-rid/

Take care.

Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.