Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have just had a bowel movement and the stools were very

I have just had a bowel movement and the stools were very red. An earlier movement was ok. Should I seek immediate medical help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

If your bleeding is persisting, I would strongly recommend that you should be seen in the ER.

If not, then you should be seen by your regular doctor as soon as you can get an appointment.

The most common cause of such bleeding is either due to hemorrhoids or anal fissure.

However, obviously, things like cancer must be ruled out, even though it seems unlikely with such a sudden presentation is still a possibility.

You will require an anoscopy (where the doctor would have a look inside from down below to see if there is any hemorrhoid that is bleeding and to have a look inside the rectum to look for the source of bleeding).

So you definitely need to be seen.

If you need to be seen in the ER depends on how severe your bleeding is.

If you wish to talk over the phone accept the premium offer.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had a further movement and therefore cannot identify if it is persistent but no blood was present earlier in the morning when I had a previous movement. It is just that the stool;s are so red that worried me. I have no pain at all
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Having no pain at all goes more in favour of the diagnosis of hemorrhoids or piles as the cause of bleeding.

If, however, you have another bowel movement that is red like the previous one then you must be seen in the hospital right away.

But if the next bowel movement is not that bad then you can wait to be seen by your GP.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. That is the guidance I was looking for.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome.
I would appreciate a rating before you leave as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did as you suggested and i went to a A and E and thevdoctor suggested tyat it was haemorrhoids and she gave me suppositories. I am completing course of tablets but seem to be back to normal. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Good to know that it is back to normal.

You are most welcome.