Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I got a blood shot eye .'t know how I got it .its in left

Customer Question

I got a blood shot eye .don't know how I got it .its in left eye and left corner .
Expert:  Dr.Nasim replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to just answer.com

Red eye or blood shot eye means inflammation of conjunctiva which is called conjunctivitis or it may be due to subconjuctival hemorrhage. Common reason is viral conjunctivitis in which case one eye followed by other one occurs.It is accompanied by irritation in eye and watering. Usually goes away within few to 10 days. common cause is allergy to pollens or molds.

Second common reason is subconjunctival hemorrhage which usually occur after forceful coughing or forceful vomiting in which case very tiny blood vessels in our eye get ruptured and lead to red eye. Rare reasons for subconjunctival hemorrhage are bleeding disorders which are not manifest at this age group which you have (usually appear earlier in age).

If a person has low platelet count,it can also lead to bleeding in conjunctiva.

I recommend you to go to eye specialist for complete examination of eye and also get your blood tests done (including CBC with platelet count, PT, APTT, bleeding time) to rule out all possibilities.

If you have any further queries, you are most welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr.Nasim replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** you.

If you feel my answer helpful please push accept button with positive rating.