Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

2/3 years ago I started to notice two marks on my neck so I

Hi , 2/3 years ago I started to notice two marks on my neck so I got them checked by the pharmacist and he said that they were fundal infections,so he gave me a cream. After using that cream it got better so everytime it came again I just used the same cream (canestan) or sometimes the doctor would prescribe (clotrimazole).The a couple months later my scalp became extremely sore and so did the back of my neck near my hair , it came to a point where I itched it so much that it bled and formed scabs I visited the doctor again and it got better after using about her anti-fungal cream.However ,it kept coming back continuously for 2/3 years and I continued using the cream and it did get better .However ,now I have got the marks again on my neck and they have become extremely big and it has also occurred on the back of my neck agian the same itchiness,bleeding and redness.So I visited the doctor he game me a anti fungal cream without examining it ( because be knew I had a fungal infection before ) ,but I didn't work my it just got worse.So I visited the doctor again and she changed my medication and gave me a different cream which isn't working at all on any of the areas.So can you please tell me what to do ,does it mean there's something wrong with me immune system ?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

What were the last two creams that were used and not effective?

Could you attach a picture of the marks on the neck?

If there is any visible rash or lesions on the scalp or neck, could you also attach pictures of these areas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeh first cream was canestan then the second prescribed was clotrimazole.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thai is the other on my neck g
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the one on the back of my neck .

Thank you for the additional information.

On the pictures, it does have the appearance of a fungal infection. A more definitive diagnosis can be achieved by scraping the lesions and examining the scraping under the microscope. Since the antifungal creams were initially helpful, that would support that these are caused by a fungal infection. However, since the Canestan/clotrimazole are no longer effective, that would suggest that the fungus has become resistant to this antifungal, so it would be reasonable to change to a different antifungal cream.

There are a couple of options at this point. It would be reasonable to change to a different topical antifungal medicine, such as ketoconazole, which is available both as a cream and a shampoo, or terbinafine, which is available as a cream, all of which is available over the counter. Another option, if the topical medicines are not effective would be a course of an oral antifungal medicine, and fluconazole is the medicine that is most often used. This is not available over the counter, so it would be necessary for this to be prescribed by your doctor.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

As for your immune system, the vast majority of people that have recurrent or stubborn fungal skin infections do not have a problem with their immune system.

It is possible that there could be a systemic illness that affects healing or the growth of fungal infections, such as diabetes, but not an issue with the immune system. If you have had a general check-up recently, including screening blood work, then there is no reason to be concerned about other conditions and it would be appropriate to focus on clearing the fungal infection.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.