Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My husband has genetic amyloidosis mainly in s heart and s

Customer Question

My husband has genetic amyloidosis mainly in his heart and his kidneys and now has to have dialysis and also has some amyloid in his spleen and liver currently undergoing chemo which he is reacting well too but has been told that initially he had 97% of amyloid in his organs but mainly in his heart. What seriously is his pertition life span
many thanks
Maria
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

There are 2 main classifications of hereditary amyloidosis diseases: ATTR and Non-TTR.

However, it is further complicated by the fact that there are approximately 126 different genetic variations in ATTR, and at least 53 genetic variations in Non-TTR hereditary amyloidosis diseases.

http://www.amyloidosis.org/facts/familial/#faqs

is some good information.

you need to ask his doctors about the type of genetic hereditary amyloidosis he has

still, even with that information, there may not be enough information to tell what his potential life span would be

every patient is different and there has not been enough long term studies to tell average survival rates

let me know if you have other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has AL amyloidosis which is genetic and he has been told he is at stage 3 , and it is like I said mainly in his heart and kidneys which he now has to start dialysis and he also has deposits of amyloid in his spleen liver and forget pancreas surely you can tell me a little bit more as he is having 6 months of chemo and the momentThank you
Maria
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

ask his doctors if he has a t(11:14) translocation which is 59% common which leads to a much improved complete response rate from chemotherapy and leads to prolonged survival and many year overall survival

The "high-risk" cytogenetic aberrations t(4;14), t(14;16) and del(17p13) conferred an unfavorable prognosis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27257181

ask his doctors which translocation his AL amyloidosis he has.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will do that but in your opinion in what I have told you because I have been doing some research on this dreadful disease and he has debilitated very quickly over the last 2 months do you believe he has years to just a year or two, sorry to bother you but I really need to know
Maria
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

hopefully with this type of hereditary amyloidosis he will respond well to the chemotherapy and be able to live for years and years after therapy.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com