Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My wife has a on going problem with her legs swelling, you

Customer Question

my wife has a on going problem with her legs swelling, you has been told tat is water she has taken tablets and gets very little relieve, she gets a lot of pain with this conditions I would like to get her to see a specialist who deals with anatomical conditions such as this, she has had 2 knee replacements one 8 years ago and the other one 10 weeks ago, both legs have the problem, which has been on going for 18 months, can you give some advice and the type of specialist who we could consult
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear about your wife.

The swelling that she is having in her legs is medically called as peripheral oedema.

This can be caused by a number of conditions such as:

1. Incompetent valves of the legs
  2. Heart disease
  3. Liver disease
  4. Kidney disease

I would strongly recommend that she be seen by her regular doctor or GP to have these conditions considered and if required be referred to a specialist i.e. heart specialist if a heart problem is suspected, liver specialist of liver disease is suspected and nephrologist if kidney disease is suspected.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Please do rate me before you leave by clicking on one of the rating options as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards