Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Can A..O test detect incompatible blood if blood transfusion

Customer Question

Can A.B.O test detect incompatible blood if blood transfusion was done a few years ago?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Compatibility testing and cross-matching is done before the blood transfusion. This will ensure that there is no incompatible reaction on blood transfusion. Therefore this will not test for any reaction which occurred years ago.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Won't the A.B.O incompatibility test reveal if you have A.B.O or not after you had a blood transfusion?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Blood grouping and typing may be done anytime and will tell you your blood group. This will not detect an incompatible blood transfusion years ago.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the correct test to detect wrong blood in a person, I thought it was A.B.O Incompatibility test
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Immediately after an incompatible blood transfusion tests may be done to know why there was a reaction. For this both the donor blood and your blood needs to be present. However after years of the suspected reaction not much can be done. Please ask your doctor and see the notes in your clinical chart to know whether there was any blood transfusion reaction.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so you're saying that because it's been 4 years since I had a blood transfusion (Hep B vaccine). I can't find out if there is wrong blood present in my immune system because it's been too many years? Wouldn't the A.B.O Incompatibility reveal if there is wrong blood present? If not what is the correct test? I've done normal blood tests many times and they came out fine.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Yes I am saying that after 4 years there will be no evidence of the incompatible blood that was transfused. You may have developed new antibodies due to the incompatible blood transfusion. For this please consult a hematologist in your location.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does wrong blood last in someone's immune system?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Incompatible blood will last for only a few hours.